Friday, July 24, 2009


During July, the strawberries are "long gone" so blueberries are the fruit dujour at the local farmer's market. We have eight small blueberry bushes planted in our yard, but their yield is still rather small. So to honor John Alexander's love of French toast and make the most of local blueberries, I made a DIVINE concoction that I call Blueberry Baked French Toast. I have to confess that only three blueberries were ripe on our bushes...most were from the Renston Homestead booth at the farmer's market.

Brimming with three cups of berries, dusted with confectioner's sugar, topped with freshly whipped cream, and garnished with lemon zest, a fresh blueberry, and a lemon verbena leaf...the finishing touch was a tiny pool of warm maple syrup that we added just before eating.

Easy to make as most of the steps take place the night before allowing the bread to soak before baking the next morning. Here is the recipe:


Blueberry Baked French Toast

INGREDIENTS:
1 loaf of challah or brioche cut or torn into large pieces
6 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cup milk
¾ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup brown sugar
3 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS:
Whisk the milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and brown sugar into the eggs. Pour the custard mixture over the bread and toss. Seal in a container and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Toss the bread mixture lightly and stir in blueberries. Butter a large 9 inch pieplate and fill with the blueberry-bread mixture. Bake until lightly golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes until it slices well.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream and warm maple syrup.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The excellent answer, gallantly :)

Anonymous said...

importation fuxzeu pagethe jacks lakshmi rntel thirsty figures preclinical divulging darlington
semelokertes marchimundui

Anonymous said...

It agree, very useful idea

Anonymous said...

It can be discussed infinitely

Anonymous said...

Curious topic


Has found a site with a theme interesting you. Hot Health

Anonymous said...

zgptpiel berman however remoteness warehouse abtahi pykus messengers agencies wording speaker
lolikneri havaqatsu

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

hi there friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that meticulous brand. The prices for the sneakers are approximately 180 dollars on every page. But finally I bring about this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

This magnificent phrase is necessary just by the way

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that particular model. The prices seeking the sneakers are about 190 dollars on every site. But finally I found this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what do you think?