Friday, June 1, 2007

A feeble attempt...

I have been struck by so much of what I have read in this book and on Kingsolver's website, http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/, especially her claim that most Americans have come to make our food choices based on what we WANT...rather than on what we HAVE. This simple notion resonated with me such that when I arrived at home on Wednesday of last week to find that our son, John Alexander, had carefully trimmed our rosemary bushes, I pondered what I might do with the huge mound of fragrant sprigs he had saved. Immediately thinking of the luscious foccacia bread that I had made in the past, I hatched a plan to archive the recipe electronically, hoping to share it with my students on the following day. During the graduate level course that I am presently teaching, I always bring in books that I am presently reading. As I shared an excerpt from Kingsolver's book, I told my students about the have vs. want thought. My first feeble attempt to use this notion as a guiding tenet offered willing takers fresh rosemary and an accompanying copy of my Rosemary Focaccia Bread via email. The rosemary disappeared quickly and I sent copies of the recipe to 12 "takers." As many rubbed the leaves between their fingers and smelled it as we continued to talk about their future students, I wondered if any might be intrigued enough to give the recipe a try.

I made the focaccia bread the following Friday and was a bit worried that I hadn't explained more in the recipe about how to work flour into the sticky dough. I worked on a myriad of things around the house as I let it rise and the fragrance of yeast and rosemary filled the house. Later that night, hot bread, good cheese, nuts, and fresh apples (oops....obviously not in season) was all that we needed for dinner. A feeble attempt, yes....but the rewards of my effort were enjoyed and savored by all three of us.


This past Thursday, one of my students approached me as we moved into the computer lab for a final segment of our class and handed me a small sealed envelope. Curious about what it held, I opened it to read her note thanking me for sharing the rosemary and the recipe. She had made the focaccia bread for her parents and husband on the very same day that I had made it for my family! Surprised...yes...but my "feeble" attempt had prompted another to appreciate what so few have ever experienced...kneading, baking, and sharing fresh bread with those you love.

No comments: